A comprehensive guide to all the steps you should take, if you become a witness of animal abuse and want to report it to the competent authorities was presented by the magazine “Dog & Cat”, with the assistance of the PanHellenic Animal Welfare Federation.
Intoxication with poisoned bait
– Find out if there is an active animal welfare organization in the region and report the incident.
– Notify the local media, then post online the incident and where it occurred, in order to alert other people to avoid the area. It is important for everyone to understand that poisoned baits are not only harmful to stray animals, but they also present huge risks especially for young children.
– Fill a complaint at your local police station.
Police has to:
– Start an investigation (even fill a complaint against the unrecognized perpetrators), prior to sending the file to the prosecution.
-Immediately notify the municipality and the veterinary service of the region, in order to collect any dead animals and take the steps needed.
-Require a toxicological examination, in order to identify the harmful substance and include this piece of information in the case file.
TIP: In cases of intoxication in public spaces it is important to always notify the police and the municipality, as it is their responsibility to inform and protect the citizens, highlighting the dangerous area.
Passive abuse/neglect of an animal from its owner
-Take pictures and/or videos demonstrating the neglect.
– Notify the local animal welfare organization.
– Fill a complaint at the veterinary directorate of the region, sharing in great detail and prioritization everything you know regarding the violation of rules concerning the animal’s good health and health conditions in general (dirt, strong odors etch.). You can make a complaint by phone or fax, but be sure to ask for the file number. This number confirms that an event was recorded and is required for any future communication about the event, as well as for obtaining a copy of your complaint.
TIP: Notify the Municipal Police (where applicable) or the municipality. They can visit the site of the event, in order to make an autopsy report and impose an administrative fine depending on the offense.
– Seek help from the local animal welfare organization.
– If it happens that you know the animal’s owner or the animal has a microchip registered in the name of the owner, you should go to the police station and fill a complaint, asking for the automatic prosecution of the owner for abandoning and putting in danger their pet. There is no need to press charges, as your complaint is enough.